Sunday, July 24, 2011

17 Miracles

Val and I had heard about this movie and decided it would be fitting to see it for Pioneer Day. It was made by TC Christensen, a local LDS filmmaker, who we know personally. The film tells the story of the Martin-Willey Handcart company and some of the miracles that occurred during their ill-fated journey to the Salt Lake Valley. It is definitely geared toward an LDS audience, but the acting was good and the story was compelling. Some of the accounts I had not heard before. It was a little slow to start, but as I watched the background information about the featured members of the company, I found myself drawn into their stories. The stories and their theme are familiar to those of us who are members of the LDS faith, but they are valuable reminders of the incredible sacrifices made by those who made that ill-fated journey. I am, without fail, brought to tears whenever I watch one of Brother Christensen's films. (He also directed Legacy, The Testaments, Joseph Smith - Prophet of the Restoration and was director of photography for The Work and the Glory.) I highly recommend this movie for those of our faith who have heard the story before and also for those not of our faith who are interested in hearing about this story of faith and sacrifice.



http://motleyvision.org/ldscinema/2011/06/review-17-miracles-b/

1 comment:

Davis Valley Classic said...

I hadn't heard of this movie, but I for sure want to see it! Thanks for sharing!