Saturday, July 12, 2008

Berry Hill Farm

Last week Val had to go to Louisiana to his office for a partners' meeting and I decided at the last minute to tag along and spend a couple of days with my friend Sandy, who just happens to be his partner's wife. Sandy and I have known each other for 17 years, and from the first moment that we met, have felt that we were sisters born into different families.
She lives about 40 miles north of New Orleans on 10 acres out in the country where they have a blueberry farm. Her daughter Amanda and granddaughter Claire live next door. Here are Sandy, Claire and I by the Berry Hill Farm sign.


I spent two wonderful days with them picking blueberries, going to lunch, talking, sorting berries, laughing, going to dinner, watching movies and having a great time. We made blueberry cobbler which was absolutely the best thing ever! I brought home a ton of blueberries and froze them so I will be making cobbler all winter long. YUMMY! I thought I should share the recipe so here it is:

BLUEBERRY COBBLER

5 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
4 T sugar
3 T flour

Toss berries with flour and sugar until coated. Pour into greased baking dish (9x13)

Mix 1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
dash of salt
1 C milk

Mix well with wire wisk and pour on top of berries.

Combine 1/2 C rolled oats
1/2 C brown sugar
1/4 C flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
dash nutmeg
1/4 C butter or margarine

Cut butter into mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over the top of cake mixture.
Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes or until top is golden brown and edges are bubbly. Cool slightly and serve with vanilla ice cream.

1 comment:

Davis Valley Classic said...

This recipe looks good, too bad I can't cook! I will come over soon as long as you promise not to burn eggs while playing on the Wii! Haha! Just kidding! I'll talk to Tara about coming over again soon, that was a lot of fun! Cute blog! I added you to my little list, hope that is okay.